Grab a cup of cocoa, whip up your favorite comfort food and get cozy by the fire. It’s winter and it sure is cold outside. But wait, just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you have to be cooped up in the house. Why not plan a fun winter family getaway? It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, just something, someplace fun to get rid of that cabin fever.
Fun Winter Family Getaway Ideas
There are so many fun things to do during the winter. “Do you wanna build a snowman?” What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think fun winter family getaway?
- Waterparks: Yes, I said waterpark and no those are not just for the summer, especially not when they’re INDOORS! Great Wolf Lodge Resort is a fun winter family getaway spot with fun for the entire family. With fun water slides, indoor activities like bowling and pampering, teen activities, there’s something for everyone all in one building.
- Snow Tubing: Spin traditional outdoor activities with a snow tubing outing. Snow tubing is fun for all ages and can be an all day adventure for a quick yet entertaining family getaway. Snow tubing usually has runs for all ages and a lodge to warm up and fuel up again before you head out to the fun. They’ve also got a lot of other activities (snow related fun) that you can explore if you’re so inclined.
- Ice Skating: There are so many different places you can visit. New York, Illinois and even Canada have some large and beautiful outdoor ice skating rinks that provide some great fun in a beautiful atmosphere. You’ll also find great culture, monuments and history to visit while you’re there. We visited Niagara Falls, Canada last year and it was absolutely gorgeous. Their ice skating rinks are just as amazing.
- National Parks: If you love the outdoors, why not stop by and visit a National Park. You’ll be able to enjoy the beautiful great outdoors with ranger-led tours and junior ranger programs for the kids without all the crowds.
- Winter Olympics: About Travel says that if you visit previous host cities, you can try out all of the winter Olympics Sports at an Olympic Park, like bobsledding or testing out your biathlon skills.
These are just a handful ideas to get your family started, but remember, fun winter family getaways don’t have to be far or even elaborate. A quick Google search (or About Travel) can return many fun, creative ideas found in your local area. Sit the family down, write down all of the activities everyone wants to do this winter, create a family winter bucket list and see what you can do to make it happen. Take lots of pictures. These memories can last a lifetime.
Do you have a favorite Fun Winter Family Getaway idea? We’d love to hear it.
Tell us in the comment section below.