Staying healthy when you travel isn’t easy. After all, your normal schedule is disrupted by travel and sleeping in a different space. You’re exposed to lots of different people who may not be as careful about keeping their germs to themselves. You are often using public bathrooms at attractions and restaurants which exposes you more frequently to germs and bacteria. These tips will make staying healthy when you travel a little bit easier.
Staying Healthy When You Travel
Building up your immune system will help you fight off any germs that you may be exposed to when you travel. This is something that you can do every single day and not just before you travel. Make sure that you get enough sleep and take both a multi-vitamin and extra Vitamin C to keep your immune system strong.
- Be certain that you fit in exercise and healthy eating as often as possible when you’re traveling. Loading up on fast food and high carb meals will make it all the more difficult to stay healthy.
- Bring healthy snacks with you. It can be difficult to find healthy snacks when you’re stuck in the airport but more and more places are offering packs of veggies, sliced fruit or a grain free bar.
- Drink a lot of water. If you’re visiting local attractions, make sure you have a refillable water bottle. At the airport, skip the soda or alcohol and ask for water with lemon instead.
- Wash your hands frequently with warm soapy water. While I don’t generally use anti-bacterial gel, bringing one along for travel is a good idea.
- Use sunscreen and insect repellent to avoid sunburn and skin irritation. Bugs are attracted to bright colors so skip the pink shirt and opt for white instead.
- Check the CDC website for any health advisories in the area your traveling to. Avoid them as much as possible.
No matter where you are travelling, staying healthy will allow you to enjoy your vacation or business trip more than if you are sick. Do others a favor as well and postpone your trip if you’re ill.
Do you have any travel plans this summer?